Dangerous goods safety adviser (DGSA)

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:30

What is a dangerous goods safety adviser and why do you need one?

Well, if you transport the goods, you must have a dangerous goods safety adviser (DGSA). However, you do not need one if:

  • You only transport them on occasions. ~
  • For example: break down recovery vehicles.
  • You are the recipient of the goods (the consignee).
  • The goods are in limited quantities.
  • You are only moving the dangerous goods a short distance. I.e. by road, between buildings on an industrial estate.
  • You are using private vehicle to transport the goods.
  • DGSA Training

Your DGSA has to receive training. They must have the training usng an approved training course. If you would like to know more about what training is available and get more information for guidance and support, click this link to go to the Department for Transports Official Website.

If you would like additional resources for DGSA advice, read ‘ADR – 2011 Annex A which is linked here. (In a long document…)

What’s the guidance for employing a Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor?

Your options are as follows: Either appoint a current member of staff and have them trained as the DGSA or use a company that specialises in providing dangerous goods safety advice. Additionally, if you’re looking for information and advice, then you can call the department for transport helpline on 0207 944 2755 – Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

1. Dangerous Goods Overview

2. What’s Classified as Dangerous Goods?

3. Packaging Dangerous Goods

4. What’s a DGSA?

5. Different Transport: Different Rules

6. Transporting limited quantities

7. Enforcing & reporting | How to

Sam’s Transport Home